Cristina Vergara, Emma Gutierrez Award Winner, 2023

 By JFK Editorial Committee

Miss Cristina Vergara, coordinator of the Science department at JFK High School, was recognized with this year's Emma Gutierrez Award, which is awarded annually by ASOMEX (Association of American Schools in Mexico), to recognize women's leadership in education with a $4,000 scholarship for PD training.

“I applied because I would like to continue working on significant projects for my community, and I believe that, if I am awarded this scholarship, I will be able to learn where the future of education is going and share it with all members of that community”, says Cris.

Miss Cris studied Biology with a specialty in Marine Ecology. She later studied for a Master's in Educational Leadership from the University of Framingham and has 12 years of experience as a teacher, 10 of which he has worked at JFK.

“It seemed like a very distant goal and just having been chosen to represent the school, for me it was already an honor that I had managed to obtain, but knowing that my profile was unanimously chosen to receive this scholarship is incredible. It gives me great satisfaction to be able to represent the school, to bring that award to everyone because I believe it represents the capabilities and scope that anyone who works at this school can achieve. Because the school makes it easy. So, if you choose this path, surely there will be opportunities where you can stand out, as it happened to me, so I am very grateful to the school, very happy, it is an achievement of almost a decade of work.”

Cris will officially receive the recognition at the Tri Association Educators’ Conference that will take place in Bogotá. Colombia in the month of October, where in addition, she will participate as a speaker, with the theme "Classroom, movement and real life" in co-teaching with Professor Rafael Díaz.

Later, Cristina will attend the leadership training that will take place in Rome in June, in the summer of 2024. “Thanks to this award, I think I can contribute to improving our vision, our perspectives on where we have to focus our energy and continue walking towards something that can always put our school at the forefront and with a globally competitive educational and international offer for our students.”





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ASOMEX Soccer Results

SWAS Graduation

NHS, academic excellence, love for service, leadership and character